Know before you vote: Where do Springfield school board candidates stand?
On April 5, voters will decide who will represent them on the Springfield School District’s board of education. Learn about the five candidates for two open board seats through virtual interviews produced by a coalition of 11 nonpartisan community organizations.
Below is a video version of the five interviews back-to-back. Each candidate answered questions developed by the candidate forum coalition. Candidates are Kelly Byrne (2:30), Charles Taylor (16:07), Chad Courtney (29:30), Steve Makoski (42:08), and Brandi VanAntwerp (56:04). The only incumbent is Taylor. To view a specific candidate’s interview in the video, skip to the timestamp listed after their name above.
Watch the interviews here:
The nonpartisan Candidate Forum Coalition was launched in 2019 with the shared goal of educating voters and engaging candidates with citizens.
In addition to Leadership Springfield, the other organizations are:
- Be Civil, Be Heard
- Drury University’s L.E. Meador Center for Politics & Citizenship
- Junior League of Springfield
- KSMU Ozarks Public Radio
- League of Women Voters of Southwest Missouri
- NAACP Springfield
- Ozarks Technical Community College’s Social Sciences Department with Politically Active, a nonpartisan student organization
- Springfield-Greene County Library District
- Springfield News-Leader
For more information, contact us at (417) 986-2884 or email [email protected]